Then again, success over the past four days has been measured in getting some physical activity in, eating salad for lunch and trying to curb my holiday season chocolate hangover cravings.
While I don't necessarily believe in putting off change until a specific date turns over, every minute really is a chance to start living an authentic life in my mind, the first week of January is usually a quiet reflective time to mull over what has occurred in the previous twelve months. A time to assess where your journey is taking you, and whether you want your course to continue in that direction or whether you have different dreams.
Last year I had certain circumstances that changed my dreams for the future, and then again at the end of the year those dreams changed again when I found myself having to reassess where I was headed the choices I had made based on that old situation.
When the clock hit midnight on New Years Eve I realised that the vision I had made for myself for 2012 was no longer relevant. Cue a little bit of sadness and some mild panic. I am a girl who likes to have a list, at least a vague map of my terrain so that I can enjoy my journey.
I love getting lost when I go on holidays, adventure feeds a deep part of my soul; however I do like to have an idea of what I am doing with these precious days of my life.
Therefore I have decided on some goals, dreams and changes for 2012, and I thought I would share them with all of you.
Amy's Goals for 2012:
- Complete my Graduate Diploma in Writing, Editing and Publishing.
- As mentioned in this post I am going back to university this year. The plan has changed slightly and I am now taking a year long course that will get me closer to my dream of working in the world of the written word.
- Run at least six races.
- I was planning on doing two half marathons but as I am going back to university full time for the year and also working part time I have decided to concentrate on the shorter distances this year. But aim to run them super fast! (Well, faster than I do right now...)
- Here they are so far:
- March - 5km International Women's Day Fun Run
- March - 10km Twilight Run (run just on dark, not because of vampires)
- May - 8km Mother's Day Classic
- July - 10km Gold Coast
- August - Brisbane Running Festival 10km
- September - 10km Bridge to Brisbane
- Aim for two strength training sessions per week
- Try to add swimming and a gym class every week to vary my routine and decrease boredom.
- Make the perfect pie crust
- Learn to sew and make myself something to wear
- Grow my own tomatoes
- Read one 'fun' book per month, that is, something that isn't on my syllabus for university
- Spend a whole weekend at the beach
- Knit a scarf
So there you have my goals for 2012, some planning is required to make them successful (for example, asking Mum to teach me how to use a sewing machine!) but these are achievements that I hope I can check off my list through the year, and look back on in another twelve months time. I am sure there will be many other adventures over the next 362 days and I look forward to what the universe sends me, and sharing those unexpected rainbows with you all as well.
Mostly what I wish for this year is just as much happiness as I had in 2011 and as much precious time with my family and friends as possible.
What are your plans or wishes for 2012?